Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi. I moved to study in Quebec, but remain a factual resident of Alberta. I put all data about my moving expenses, but TurboTax limits my deduction to nil. Please help.

I wrote to Revenue Quebec to ask them whether I became a resident in Quebec because I study here. They confirmed that I am a resident of Alberta regardless.

In 2015, I incurred moving expenses to pursue my full-time studies. I should be entitled to claim them. Why doesn't TurboTax let me claim this deduction?

The 2nd glitch is that Canada employment amount is missing in the list of my credits although I worked during 8 months in calendar 2015 in Calgary and completed my T4 slip information.

Thank you.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Hi. I moved to study in Quebec, but remain a factual resident of Alberta. I put all data about my moving expenses, but TurboTax limits my deduction to nil. Please help.

If you are claiming moving expenses as a student, then you can only claim them against taxable scholarship income.  Especially if you were a full time student, your scholarship income is likely not taxable.  Also, you did not change your actual residence...so moving expenses would be nullified because the move is just temporary.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns206-236/219/menu-eng.html

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you are claiming moving expenses as a student, then you can only claim them against taxable scholarship income.  Especially if you were a full time student, your scholarship income is likely not taxable.  Also, you did not change your actual residence...so moving expenses would be nullified because the move is just temporary.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns206-236/219/menu-eng.html