Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schmooot

As a sole proprietor, do bills have to be in my business name in order for me to write them off or can they be in my personal name?

I am renting a building to operate my small business.  I am a sole proprietor, Subsequently I will be setting up an account for internet and telephone access at the business location.  I was just going to open a new account with the provider using my personal name rather than my registered business name.  The internet provider has informed me that the account must be registered in my business name in order for me to use it a write-off...of course the "business" accounts are twice the price.  Is this really necessary?  The account will be completely separate from my personal account at home and will have reference to the business address location.  Will this be an issue if it ever comes to light in an audit situation?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

As a sole proprietor, do bills have to be in my business name in order for me to write them off or can they be in my personal name?

It is not an issue with your income tax, as all work as a proprietor is personal.  Where you tend to run into problems, is that banks want accounts in the registered business name, as do other suppliers for the same reason you mentioned.  They get to charge more for businesses.  You can always use " John Brown dba Blankenship Books"  DBA means "doing business as." 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

It is not an issue with your income tax, as all work as a proprietor is personal.  Where you tend to run into problems, is that banks want accounts in the registered business name, as do other suppliers for the same reason you mentioned.  They get to charge more for businesses.  You can always use " John Brown dba Blankenship Books"  DBA means "doing business as." 

schmooot

Thank you that is what I had figured.  Hopefully I can convince the providers otherwise

Some will cooperate with you, others will not.  Good luck with it.