Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My wife and I are 50/50 partners in a corporation and I earn a separate income with a different company. Why did the bulk of our business income go under my name?

My wife and I are 50/50 partners in a corporation. I earn a separate income and she takes dividends from our business. When we filled out the financials. it placed a bulk of the business income under my name.  I did not take any money from our business and am in a higher tax bracket.  Why is the bulk of the income under my name?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My wife and I are 50/50 partners in a corporation and I earn a separate income with a different company. Why did the bulk of our business income go under my name?

You have to file a separate corporate income tax return.  You cannot just add it to your personal income tax.  The company is a completely separate entity.

You need to talk to an accountant and discuss what a corporation is and the rights and obligations that come with it. You must also discuss  year end dates, a possible nil filing for the first return, and a multitude of other things.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You have to file a separate corporate income tax return.  You cannot just add it to your personal income tax.  The company is a completely separate entity.

You need to talk to an accountant and discuss what a corporation is and the rights and obligations that come with it. You must also discuss  year end dates, a possible nil filing for the first return, and a multitude of other things.