Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My wife is stay at home re entering the workforce next year. She volunteered in her field two days a week to put on her resume. Can we claim pre school expense?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My wife is stay at home re entering the workforce next year. She volunteered in her field two days a week to put on her resume. Can we claim pre school expense?

Preschool (daycare expenses) have to be claimed by the spouse with the lower net income, and one of the limitations is 2/3 of earned income.  If your wife had no income in 2015, then there is no claim for preschool.

While there is no claim for preschool, it is considered educational, and therefore does qualify for the Arts credit.  You are able to claim, as long as you have receipts in the children's names, up to $500 per child for the Arts credit.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Preschool (daycare expenses) have to be claimed by the spouse with the lower net income, and one of the limitations is 2/3 of earned income.  If your wife had no income in 2015, then there is no claim for preschool.

While there is no claim for preschool, it is considered educational, and therefore does qualify for the Arts credit.  You are able to claim, as long as you have receipts in the children's names, up to $500 per child for the Arts credit.

Hi, thank you for using Intuit turbotax Live Community

Generally expenses and deductions can only be claimed on a tax return if then were incurred to earn taxable income reported on the T1. For example, child care expenses must be claimed only against working income by the lower income spouse. For more information review the following link for a great turbotax article:

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/family-health/help/what-is-the-child-care-expenses-de...

Hope this helps