Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leogzt

Can I claim moving expenses if it was me who asked for a relocation? Again, it's the same company, job title and pay. Moved from BC to Alberta. Thanks

6 Replies

Can I claim moving expenses if it was me who asked for a relocation? Again, it's the same company, job title and pay. Moved from BC to Alberta. Thanks

Yes, as long as you moved to a new "work location" you can claim moving expenses. You can only apply your moving expenses against the income earned at the new location, and it's sometimes difficult to determine that income amount. If you have only been issued one T4 from the same company, some calculations may be needed on your part using pay stubs and such. If you have been issued separate T4s for each location, that's great. 

https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/when-and-how-you-can-claim-moving-expenses-in-canada-482

leogzt

Thank you very much for your answer TurboTaxKim.

Still, I would like to be totally sure I can claim because, as I mentioned already it was me who asked my company to be relocated. And I think this may fall into the personal reasons described in paragraph 4.8 in this online CRA document: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/technical-information/income-tax/income-tax-fol...

Thanks a lot for your help

According to the CRA I.T. Folio you shared above, "The required connection does not exist when an individual moves solely for personal reasons", which could prove to be a grey area with this claim. 

One example used says: "It’s also met where a taxpayer is transferred by his or her employer to another job in a different location and the taxpayer’s move will bring him or her at least 40 kilometres closer to the new work location", meaning the moving expenses should be allowed. Nowhere does it state that the transfer does not apply if you requested it for personal reasons. Yet another article states you would not qualify if your place of work, working conditions and employment duties did not change.

The only way you would be able to get a definite answer as to whether CRA would or would not allow your moving expense deduction based on the "personal reason" stipulation would be to contact them and inquire. As much as we would like to give you a definite "yes or no" answer to this, it's up to CRA to determine your eligibility for the deduction.

Here's a couple articles with information. Best of luck on this. ~ Kim

https://ebtca.com/moving-expenses-whats-deductible-and-whats-not/

http://business.financialpost.com/personal-finance/taxes/when-moving-expenses-are-a-tax-deduction-an...

Hi @leogzt, I am also in the same situation. Did you get a chance to confirm with CRA if you are eligible to claim moving expenses?

ramsi333

Hi brother, did you get this sorted out yet. What was the final outcome. Any details will be appreciated.

Hi Ramsi,

You are only eligible if you are moving 40 km atleast near to your job location. If you are moving away or moving near to the job location but less than 40km then you are not eligible. I have confirmed with CRA. It is mentioned in their website as well.