Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I claim tools deduction for mechanic apprentice? I tried opening T777, it asks if I work at home in 2021 due to COVID which I didn't then it says I'm not eligible

1 Reply

How do I claim tools deduction for mechanic apprentice? I tried opening T777, it asks if I work at home in 2021 due to COVID which I didn't then it says I'm not eligible

If your employer has provided you with a T2200, you can deduct your Apprentice mechanic tools expenses on your tax return. To do this in TurboTax Online:

1. Open your TurboTax return. At the top of the page, click the "Find" icon.
  2. When the search bar appears, type in “emp”, select “Employment Expenses” from the list, then click the “Go” button.
  3. This will take you to the Employment Expenses page. Select the box if you are eligible to claim employment expenses, then click Continue.
  4. Once on the Employment Expenses Profile page, select T2200, then click Continue.
  5. On the next page, check off the box next to Other Employment Expenses. Answer the other questions on the page, then click Continue.
  6. Once on the Other Employment Expenses page, you can enter your Apprentice mechanic tools expenses at the bottom of the page.
  7. Select Continue to save your work.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.