Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I delete a partial tax return

I created a second tax return by accident... I do not want to carry it on... can I delete it?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you’re using the online edition of TurboTax, it's possible to delete a return that hasn’t been filed. Returns that have already been filed (either by NETFILE or printed to mail) can't be deleted.

Note that when you delete a return, you won't be able to access it again and we won't be able to retrieve the information for you.

The steps below outline how to delete a return for TurboTax Online: 

1. Sign in to TurboTax Online for the tax year of the return you’d like to delete
  2. On the Great to see you again! screen, locate the return
  3. If the return you want to delete has a trash can beside it:

1. Select the trash can icon
    2. When prompted to confirm the deletion, select Delete

If the return you want to delete doesn't have a trash can beside it:

To ensure users don’t accidentally delete a return they’re working on, TurboTax prevents you from deleting your most recent “active” return. You can get around this by opening and then closing another one of your returns. The return you want to delete will then become inactive.

1. Choose another return in your account and select Continue to open the return
    2. Select My Returns from the navigation bar, then select View all tax returns
      • In the 2018 version, select My Account & Returns, then View all tax returns
      • In prior-year versions, select Tools, then Return Manager
    3. This will close the return and bring you back to the screen that displays all your tax returns. The return you just opened will be featured as your active return, and the return you want to delete will display a corresponding trash can icon. Select the trash can icon to delete the return
    4. When prompted to confirm the deletion, select Delete

For more information please refer to our TurboTax FAQ How do I delete a return in TurboTax Online?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If you’re using the online edition of TurboTax, it's possible to delete a return that hasn’t been filed. Returns that have already been filed (either by NETFILE or printed to mail) can't be deleted.

Note that when you delete a return, you won't be able to access it again and we won't be able to retrieve the information for you.

The steps below outline how to delete a return for TurboTax Online: 

1. Sign in to TurboTax Online for the tax year of the return you’d like to delete
  2. On the Great to see you again! screen, locate the return
  3. If the return you want to delete has a trash can beside it:

1. Select the trash can icon
    2. When prompted to confirm the deletion, select Delete

If the return you want to delete doesn't have a trash can beside it:

To ensure users don’t accidentally delete a return they’re working on, TurboTax prevents you from deleting your most recent “active” return. You can get around this by opening and then closing another one of your returns. The return you want to delete will then become inactive.

1. Choose another return in your account and select Continue to open the return
    2. Select My Returns from the navigation bar, then select View all tax returns
      • In the 2018 version, select My Account & Returns, then View all tax returns
      • In prior-year versions, select Tools, then Return Manager
    3. This will close the return and bring you back to the screen that displays all your tax returns. The return you just opened will be featured as your active return, and the return you want to delete will display a corresponding trash can icon. Select the trash can icon to delete the return
    4. When prompted to confirm the deletion, select Delete

For more information please refer to our TurboTax FAQ How do I delete a return in TurboTax Online?

Yes, you can delete all unwanted returns on your account. Login to your account, click on the trash can icon on the right side of the return you want to delete.

If you only have one return, it won’t show the trash can. Click on the “Continue” button after “Start a new return” to create a blank return. Then select “Return Manger” from the “Tools” menu on the top right. Now you should be able to delete your return, leaving only the empty return in the account.

Please review our TurboTax FAQ link below for guidance.

How do I delete a return in TurboTax Online? 

Yes, you can delete all unwanted returns on your account. Login to your account, click on the trash can icon on the right side of the return you want to delete.

If you only have one return, it won’t show the trash can. Click on the “Continue” button after “Start a new return” to create a blank return. Then select “Return Manger” from the “Tools” menu on the top right. Now you should be able to delete your return, leaving only the empty return in the account.

Please review our TurboTax FAQ link below for guidance.

How do I delete a return in TurboTax Online?