Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I claim both the disability amount as well as the maximum Attendant care expense in Ontario of $14065 (2017)?

@dankennedy9191 Are you using TurboTax CD/Download or TurboTax Online?

How do I claim both the disability amount as well as the maximum Attendant care expense in Ontario of $14065 (2017)?

Your answer does not make sense. If you enter $14318 farther down the Medical worksheet form under "Disability supports expenses not claimed elsewhere on any return", this amount will also be entered in the Federal Tax Return in addition to the $10,000 entered as a regular Medical Expense.

Turbotax downloaded.

Do you have an answer or know where else I could check. I phoned the Help Desk and she could help and suggested I call back and maybe I would get somebody else that would have the answer.

Devoted_guy
Returning Member

Here is how I solved this problem.   My solution does NOT deal with how to calculate the full-time attendant care expense as I assume each taxpayer knows how to do that; my explanation deals with how to enter the amount on Turbotax assuming one wishes also to eliminate the "DTC" claim (which is required if claiming attendant care / medical expenses in excess of the annual minimum.  My mother-in-law's return has already been submitted and assessed so I know the solution works.

Enter the attendant care expenses as per normal.  Be sure you are aware of the amount limitations.  Here is an excellent article on the subject.  

On Turtobax, the challenge is to eliminate the claim for the DTC because the taxpayer is now allowed to claim both assuming attendant care expenses are greater than the threshold for that tax year -- refer to article above.  

Go to the "DTC" page on Turbotax and answer "NO" to the first question "Did you have a sever mental or phyhsical impairment in 20XX?"  If you were to answer YES to this question, the software automatically claims the DTC Basic Amount lower on the form.  If you answer "NO", the "Basic Amount" of the DTC is set to $0 which is what you want in this situation were large attendant care expenses are incurred and it is more advantageous to claim them as medical expenses rather than claim the DTC.      Hope this helps.  

Devoted_guy
Returning Member

Check the thread if you still need to know -- I answered the question successfully myself. 

Thanks, this was helpful and I will need to look at the expenses, but I believe it would be better to claim the Attendant Care and ignore the DTC. However, if this is not the case, there is still no solution in Turbotax to claiming the Ontario maximum of $16,408 while also claiming the Federal amount of $10,000.

@dankennedy9191 Unfortunately, there is no solution other than to override the medical expense amount on line 58689, but then you will not be able to NETFILE the return.

If you need more help with this issue, please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608.