Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ivan21

Can you advice where best to report car sharing expenses? I use car2go for work and I would like to expense it.Thanks

I am not sure if carsharing services counts as a vehicle expense, or transit or what have you.  Also is there included in what I pay and should I separate it?  

4 Replies

Can you advice where best to report car sharing expenses? I use car2go for work and I would like to expense it.Thanks

Unless you are self-employed, car-sharing services are not tax-deductible.

Ivan21

I am self-employed.   Would love to know where I might be able to record car sharing?  Is it as part of travel?  Car rental?

It would considered a travel expense if you are taking the car-share to earn business income.

@TurboTaxJennifer, I have a follow-up question on the subject of this thread 🙂

I am self-employed and have a carshare membership. I also have a car of my own. This past year, I only used the carshare to drive between my home office and a client's location when my car was in the shop. I understand that any fees incurred to actually drive the carshare would be a business travel expense, but I am not sure about the monthly membership fee that I pay to retain access to the carshare. Can I write this off as business travel too?