Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
saffcan
Returning Member

My son born 2020 in Vietnam.Waiting for his Canadian citizenship to be accepted.Can I put his Canadian name from delivery certificate or name from VN birth certificate?

I would like to put my son's Canadian name once his Canadian citizenship is accepted. Can I use his Canadian name from his delivery certificate? Or do I need to put his Vietnamese name from his Vietnamese birth certificate ?
2 Replies

My son born 2020 in Vietnam.Waiting for his Canadian citizenship to be accepted.Can I put his Canadian name from delivery certificate or name from VN birth certificate?

Use the name that is on the child's Social Insurance Number (SIN).  That is what the tax system will check, not a birth certificate.

saffcan
Returning Member

Hi,

Thanks very much for the follow up.

DanPaul03 (Level 2) responded to all 3 of my emails.

I asked 3 questions and 1 was answered to what I thought was helpful.

I was a little confused by his answer to my 2nd email. This doesn't pertain to what's in the Subject box of this message.

My 2nd email I asked about a question on the tax form. Question on form is - What is my wife's province of residence? I explained previous - my wife and I were married in 2020 in Vietnam. She has not yet been to Canada - we are waiting for paperwork to be processed so she can move to Canada. Covid has caused big delays. His reply to my question was to contact Canada Customs and it's not a Turbo Tax or Intuit Tax issue. What?!  I only wanted to know what is best for me to click on for an answer.

What do we click on or answer since she's never been yet to Canada and the paperwork is being processed? Leave it in Select mode or click my province of BC or is she a non-resident?

Thank you - appreciate the support