Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turbo tax insisting self-employed

Trying to joint file with my wife and TurboTax thinks we're self employed. I double checked all the inputs with no solution so I abandoned that submission and started another. Same thing and been over it more than a few times. No place have I indicated either one of us is self-employed.  Ours is pretty simple. One T4 for my part time work and the rest is pension income and a tiny bit on a T5A. Per another thread I've double checked all the T slips and line items. There's nothing that shouldn't be there such as any amounts in T4A line 048. Nada. 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Will do. Thank you.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Kindly contact our phone support staff at 1-888-829-8608 so that they can better assist you. They can direct you in reviewing your tax return to determine the source of the problem.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Will do. Thank you.

reinhart1
Returning Member

Turbo Tax Canada is insisting my husband and I are self-employed.  Ive seen this error submitted by someone else.  How do you get a live person on their phone line?

reinhart1
Returning Member

Did you get a fix??

The lady I talked to just went through everything I'd done. Confirmed there were no mistakes or information missed that would cause the problem. We just went through the form to the end and ignored all the questions related to our imaginary business and filed it. We're trusting it was nonsense and if there is in fact some wrong information CRA will find and correct it. We've never owned a business so I've no idea where that got flagged. On an unrelated note though, there were medical expenses claimed last year. TurboTax brought forward some questions related to claims this year even where the were none.

Hopes this helps.

I ended up calling late at night on the weekend. Right now they'll be super busy though and it might be hard to get a live body without leaving a message.

reinhart1
Returning Member

did it let you netfile?  Mine won't unless I fix the errors.  I just got off the phone with one of their IT guys who couldn't fix it.  Told me I would have to pay $80 for a tech to call me which I certainly will not be doing.  It's their issue, not mine!  Thanks for your reply.

reinhart1
Returning Member

I ended up filling in the self employment data with the name of the business - we are not self employed!  Let the CRA figure it out!

The only suggestion I can make is to start over right from the beginning and do NOT bring forward any of the information from previous years. That messed up part of mine that we could not get rid of when using last years information to populate this years personal information. Begin just like this was the very first time you used TurboTax. If still no joy use one of the other filing services.