Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andy17

Can I remove the Capital Cost Allowance claimed on line 9936 of form T776? I do not want to claim and CCA this year.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I remove the Capital Cost Allowance claimed on line 9936 of form T776? I do not want to claim and CCA this year.

You can remove or alter the amount of CCA in TurboTax Free Online by going to:

• Income Tab > Rental Properties > Rental Summary
  • Select Edit on the rental property you wish to adjust the CCA claim
  • Continue to the page titled "T776 here's your capital cost allowance for your assets", and remove or make changes there.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

You can remove or alter the amount of CCA in TurboTax Free Online by going to:

• Income Tab > Rental Properties > Rental Summary
  • Select Edit on the rental property you wish to adjust the CCA claim
  • Continue to the page titled "T776 here's your capital cost allowance for your assets", and remove or make changes there.
Chris56

I'm using   Standard - forms.  On the T776 line 9936 i can not override this number nor can i override the CCA rate or amount in the table for Area A.  Can you let me know how i can override that.  Also looking at another string of questions it sounded like the UCC needs to be reported based on my % ownership is that correct?  So if i own 50% of the property and it cost $300,000 then i would enter $150,000 in my UCC section of the form and my partner would do the same correct?
DavidBM
Returning Member

Removing CCA on rental income requires an override which also disqualifies using Net File to file. Is there a way around this to avoid having to submit a paper return?

The best thing to do in your case when using TurboTax Free is to start a new return and do not add any CCA if not needed. This would be the way that would be recommended if you wish to NetFile your return.

DavidBM
Returning Member

Thanks Brenda. So what you need to do is on Form T776 simply delete “UCC at start of the year” and claim for CCA will disappear.

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

Yes. If you don't wish to claim the CCA fort his year > remove the UCC from the table (assuming this was added in a prior year). 

If you have a new addition and you want to claim it in the future > you will have to add it in the year of purchase (the first year to be used in business) so you can carry it forward.

I hope this was helpful

Is it possible that I don’t claim CCA in this year tax return? My expenses are already higher then my rent income and I don’t wish to claim and do that calculation. Should I just skip this on T776? Or do I have to do this calculation? 

DavidBM
Returning Member

Instead of overridng CCA, which denies ability to use Net File, on Form T776 simply delete “UCC at start of the year” and claim for CCA will disappear. Do not want to claim CCA because election on change of use would not be available (subsection 45(3) of the Income Tax Act). Election allows: (1) deferral of deemed disposition on change of use, and (2) ability to designate property as principal residence for the 4 years prior to change of use.

Yes. If you don't wish to claim the CCA fort his year > remove the UCC from the table (assuming this was added in a prior year). 

If you have a new addition and you want to claim it in the future > you will have to add it in the year of purchase (the first year to be used in business) so you can carry it forward.