Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I be completing two separate T2125 forms for two types of business when both businesses are being operated under my own legal name?

I am currently operating two businesses; each with a different product/service and a different industry code to identify the type of business.

Both of these businesses are sole proprietorships and do not have a registered business name, so all business activity is being conducted under my own legal name.

Is it okay for me to be filling out two individual T2125 forms even though the business name on both forms will be identical (my own legal name)?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Should I be completing two separate T2125 forms for two types of business when both businesses are being operated under my own legal name?

Yes. You are correct. Two T2125's are required because the businesses are not the same. 

For your own recordkeeping purposes, you might want to consider making a slight change to the name of one business (not required but, in my experience, it's much easier to have different names if you ever need to remit info to CRA).

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Yes. You are correct. Two T2125's are required because the businesses are not the same. 

For your own recordkeeping purposes, you might want to consider making a slight change to the name of one business (not required but, in my experience, it's much easier to have different names if you ever need to remit info to CRA).

Thank you for the answer.

Would it be acceptable to do something like have one business name as my first and last name... "John Smith", for example, and then have the second business as my first and last name with a middle initial such as "John R. Smith" (given that neither business has a registered business name)?

Absolutely. As long as you have some sort of distinction, keeping the paperwork straight is much easier.