Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I provide home office expenses for the full year even if I started my business in September?

I registered my business in September 2019. I have expenses for 2019 but no income until 2020. When I report my home office expenses (heat, internet, etc.) in TurboTax, should I report using 12 months of expenses or just 5 months? Where can I indicate that my expenses are only for 5 months of the year?
3 Replies

Should I provide home office expenses for the full year even if I started my business in September?

You will only enter the expenses for the months you had your business. They will know as you will enter the date when you started your business.

Thanks so much for your reply. Where in TurboTax do I indicate the date that my business began? There is a spot where they require me to enter my fiscal year. I didn't see any spot to put the date my business began! 

Your fiscal year for 2019 would be the date you opened your business until the end of the year. This will be updated for next year.