Sole Proprietor & also employed. How do I file...

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes

Pick a language

Français English
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Sole Proprietor & also employed. How do I file in Ontario?

Hi there,

I recently opened a Sole Proprietorship, and also have a full time job. This will be my first time filing in Ontario, and I am wondering how I proceed. (What forms I will need to fill out) I have both a business and personal account set up. My salary from my employer goes into my personal account, and business income goes into my business account. Do I need to file separately for both my business and the income based on my full time job?


1 Reply

Sole Proprietor & also employed. How do I file in Ontario?

If your business is unincorporated, then you only need to do one T1 tax return. Using TurboTax, you would fill in your employment income, RRSPs and whatever other person information you need just like non-self-employed people do. But you would also fill out the Self-Employment section (Form T2125) to include your business details.


If you use the EasyStep method, the interview will ask you questions and show you the right pages to fill out. This is available in all versions of TurboTax Online, but the Free version has a cut down interview when compared to the other versions.


This guide was made for rideshare drivers, but it goes through many of the commonly used parts of the Self-Employment section, and may be useful for you.