Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joe51

Self-Employed, How to treat a payment of “Appreciation/Honorarium”, received at the end of a business relationship from a company I serviced for years.

Hi,

When the job I was performing for one of the companies I service outgrew my capacity, they contracted another supplier to replace me.  Our relationship spanned many good years, and I was handed a cheque for several thousands of dollars towards no work performed. I was happy to receive the extra money, and assumed it was a gesture of Appreciation & Honorariums.

Am I correct to treat this as cash Taxable benefit, and if so where do I include it using the Online TurboTax Business and Home software? Can I treat it as Other Income?

Please advice ASAP,

Thanks in Advance,

Joe

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Self-Employed, How to treat a payment of “Appreciation/Honorarium”, received at the end of a business relationship from a company I serviced for years.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your question. You should treat this as income and add it to your gross income.

Thanks for using TurboTax, please let us know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Julie

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Joe51

Hello Again,
If I was to treat this as Other Income; do I report it as Other Income in "T2125 Business Income"?, or as Other Income where you "Enter any amount that is not employment related or already reported on your return."?. Also, what would you suggest the description be (Appreciation & Honorariums) or something else? Please help and advice. Thank You.

Hi Joe, thanks for your question. You should treat this as income and add it to your gross income.

Regards,
Julie
Joe51

Thank You so much for your help Julie.
I assume you mean to add it to my "Gross Business Income" in the "Other Income" Screen of my T2125?; and NOT to Line 130 "Other income"? Please Specify.
Also, in the description field of "Other Income", I wrote:
"Honorarium - Appreciation at end of long exceptional service"
Is that good enough? Any suggestions?

Thank you again,
Joe
Joe51

Thank You so much for your help Julie.
I assume you mean to add it to my "Gross Business Income" in the "Other Income" Screen of my T2125?; and NOT to Line 130 "Other income"? Please Specify.
Also, in the description field of "Other Income", I wrote:
"Honorarium - Appreciation at end of long exceptional service"
Is that good enough? Any suggestions?

Thank you again,
Joe

Hi Joe - you are correct - it would be part of your Gross Business Income in your T2125.

Thank you,
Julie
Joe51

Great Help. Thank You for the quick response Julie

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your question. You should treat this as income and add it to your gross income.

Regards,
Julie