Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steve44

I am not able to claim any of my home office expenses duetothis line:"employment income less other employment expenses from line 2 above and any amount" which reads as 0.

The line says :employment income less other employment expenses from line 2 above and any amount from line 207 and 212 of your return that relates to this income: and it reads as 0 but I have expenses above it that should qualify. The line below states the expenses can be used next year but not this year?

4 Replies

I am not able to claim any of my home office expenses duetothis line:"employment income less other employment expenses from line 2 above and any amount" which reads as 0.

If your Employment Expenses already exceed your income from employment, you cannot use your workspace-in-the-home expenses to create a "loss" and must carry them over to use in the next year.

So you must have other employment expenses, (possibly your vehicle expenses and CCA or depreciation) that are much higher than you earned employment income.

Steve44

The issue we noticed is that none of the expenses counted towards the tax owed. The amount claimed was far below the income made.

Your Employment Expenses will not reduce your "tax owed", they will only reduce your "income".

@Steve If you still cannot get those expenses to post properly, you may want to contact our support team. Please follow the instructions below to reach an agent who can assist you with this.

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/3152013