Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

As an independent contractor, when I file taxes via Home & Business ed'n, do I also need to file corporate taxes separately, or does it cover both personal & business?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

As an independent contractor, when I file taxes via Home & Business ed'n, do I also need to file corporate taxes separately, or does it cover both personal & business?

Assuming you have a corporation, your corporate return is separate from your personal tax return.  I rather suspect that any business expenses should be claimed in the corporate return.  You might still show yourself as a subcontractor to the corporation, there are different ways to show yourself being paid from the corporation, however if you did show yourself as a subcontractor you would complete the self employed section for your personal taxes just showing the amount paid from the corporation, with no expenses.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Assuming you have a corporation, your corporate return is separate from your personal tax return.  I rather suspect that any business expenses should be claimed in the corporate return.  You might still show yourself as a subcontractor to the corporation, there are different ways to show yourself being paid from the corporation, however if you did show yourself as a subcontractor you would complete the self employed section for your personal taxes just showing the amount paid from the corporation, with no expenses.

Scroll down this link and you will see a TurboTax product for preparing a T2 (corporate) return.

http://turbotax.intuit.ca/business-tax-software/catalogue.jsp

What Jeffrey said.

Also, when you pay yourself from a corporation that you own, the implications on both your personal and corporate taxes can be complex. If the amounts involved are significant, it might be worth your while to invest a few bucks for a consult with an accountant.