Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aitken11

When I deduct the interest paid on money borrowed to purchase an investment, what does that do to the ACB?

For example, in 2014, I borrowed $100 to purchase one share of XYZ company. The interest on the loan, which I deducted from income, was $10. I sold my share in 2015 and received $115 in proceeds of disposition. Taking into account the deduction, does that make my ACB  $90 ($100 - $10)?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When I deduct the interest paid on money borrowed to purchase an investment, what does that do to the ACB?

This has no effect on the ACB of your shares. It doesn't matter how you financed the purchase,
only that you paid a certain price.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

This has no effect on the ACB of your shares. It doesn't matter how you financed the purchase,
only that you paid a certain price.
aitken11

Thank you. I thought that I had to lower the ACB according to the amount of interest deducted. I appreciate the clarification.