Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Oct 31, 2019 4:11:18 AM

Where is T1135 on Turbo Tax online?

can I file T1135 electronically using TurboTax online version?

0 14 5818
1 Best answer
Level 13
Oct 31, 2019 4:11:19 AM

When using TurboTax Standard Online, click on Find in the top right-hand corner and type foreign income, select it and click Go.  You are able to NETFILE the T1135 form.  Once you NETFILE your income tax return, it will give you the option to NETFILE your T1135 as it is filed separately from your income tax return.

14 Replies
Level 13
Oct 31, 2019 4:11:19 AM

When using TurboTax Standard Online, click on Find in the top right-hand corner and type foreign income, select it and click Go.  You are able to NETFILE the T1135 form.  Once you NETFILE your income tax return, it will give you the option to NETFILE your T1135 as it is filed separately from your income tax return.

Oct 31, 2019 4:11:21 AM

I never got the option to file my T1135 after I filed my T1? Are they both filed at the same time now?

Level 1
Mar 22, 2023 11:28:49 AM

I am disclosing foreign investments in T1135 and only 3 lines are provided for the disclosure. TurboTax suggests to fill in the same information on a separate sheet if I have more than 3 lines. How will I attach this separate sheet for netfiling of the T1135? 

Mar 25, 2023 5:53:00 PM

@AC179 You would not be able to attach it to be sent with NETFILE, you would have to mail it.

Returning Member
Apr 17, 2024 12:32:53 PM

I filled out the T1135 form on premier turbotax as part of my tax package but after NETFILING my tax form to CRA it, the system did NOT ask me to also NETFILE the T1135 form. Pls confirm if this form is sent with the electronic tax file or if I have to send it in separately somehow.

Apr 17, 2024 12:41:35 PM

@SonjaDirnberger TheT1135 Foreign Income Verification Statement is not part of your Income Tax Return. It has to be sent separately, which is why it has it's own NETFILE button. 

Level 1
Apr 26, 2024 11:34:42 AM

I am facing this same issue. The PDF form - both in preview and manual filing - shows fewer line items that I need to report. What did you end up doing in your case?

Apr 26, 2024 12:29:52 PM

As per TurboTax Susan, please Netfile the T1135 on it's own.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Apr 26, 2024 3:45:35 PM

Is there a way that I can use TurboTax to netfile the T1135 alone? I have already submitted my tax returns but am trying to find a way to netfile my T1135. Thanks.

Apr 27, 2024 8:17:46 AM

If you filled out form T1135 on its own, you will need to print it and send it by mail. However, if you included the T1135 in your tax return, you can simply go back to the "FILE" section of your return and select the T1135 to file it electronically from there. 

Level 1
Apr 27, 2024 10:25:12 AM

Thank you for the advice. However, the advice in the last comment is disconnected from the problem. Describing it again with reproduction steps for further clarity:

1. I filled out the questionnaires on TurboTax Online.

2. As part of the questionnaire, I added foreign assets to the questionnaire when TurboTax online asked me for it as part of the workflow.

3. Specifically, I added 11 items under the category "Funds held outside of Canada" when adding Foreign Assets 

4. After filling out the entire questionnaire, I went to the "File" section as you're recommending in your last comment.

5. On the File page, there is a Preview button. The Preview button downloads a PDF with a watermark saying that the PDF is for my records and should not be filed.

6. I want to make sure everything from my TurboTax questionnaires is correctly reflected on this Preview PDF. Because the purpose of the Preview is for my records and for me to make sure there are no discrepancies before I click on NETFILE. Is that correct? Why otherwise would you/TurboTax offer the Preview button on the file page before the Netfile button?

7. This Preview PDF also includes the Preview of the automatically completed T1135 for my review as I would expect.

8. However, the T1135 in the Preview PDF is not correct. It includes only 5 of the line items under "Funds held outside of Canada". I expected it to show all 11 as I had filled out on reproduction step #3 above.

9. So then we're missing 6 items in the Preview PDF that makes me wonder if the Netfile will transmit the ones not included in the Preview?

So then please check and fix in the TurboTax systems the following / here are your next steps:

1. Check your TurboTax system to ensure the T1135 Netfile will transmit all of the 11 items. These are the items that I have correctly added and verified under the category "Funds held outside of Canada" on the TurboTax Online questionnaire. This is important because if the Netfile system is not transmitting all of the 11 items, it will cause serious headaches for me in the form of tax penalties as per CRA's website for under-reporting foreign assets.

2. Once you have confirmed that despite the bugs on the Preview PDF for T1135, the Netfile option for form T1135 will actually transmit all of these 11 items to the CRA, post the confirmation to this thread. This ensures that I and others running into this problem can have the confidence in your Netfile option even if the Preview PDF is wrong.

3. Fix the Preview PDF for Form T1135 to show all of the items AFTER making sure Netfile still works despite the bugs on the Preview PDF. Once you fix that problem, people like me will not be looking for this forum question because we will have the confidence that the software works as intended without skipping any important detail.

Apr 27, 2024 12:18:48 PM

We recommend that you contact our phone support so that they can view your screen and send it in for investigation so that you can get the proper instructions.

Level 1
Apr 27, 2024 1:14:04 PM

Yupp, already done the phone chat. They sent me to this forum... ha ha. Please decide if you want me to use the forum or the phone.

Apr 29, 2024 5:04:14 AM

Per your file, you have purchased Assist & Review and have access to your own live expert. Please contact A&R to review and make certain everything is calculating and being correctly entered in your return.