Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dms1

Which package

I use/have used turbo tax for basic returns in the family  (me,wife, 2kids)  fot the past 5 years.

This year my wife started a home business. Wondering if I purchase the self employed Turbo Tax package for her, will it still do the basic return for me and my kids?

1 Reply

Which package

Firstly – the Basic version is downloaded and allows you to do 4 returns. Whereas the TurboTax Self-Employed that you indicated is an online version.

So will you will stick with the downloaded version of the software or use the online version. The online version is priced for one return at a time. Whereas the downloaded version is priced with the option to do several returns.

The Basic version will accommodate the self-employment needs of your wife. But if you choose to use the TurboTax Self-Employed for your wife and you want to do a coupled return, you will have to pay the same price as your wife. Furthermore, you can also choose to do a separate return which means you can then use whatever version the software you want for yours.

As for your children (assuming they have simple returns), you can use the FREE version for their returns.

Footnote: There is a FREE offer for Quickbooks when choosing the Self-Employed version of the software. (This would be a great start for your wife's new home business.) Click on the link below for more details:

****Did we answer your question? Give us a “thumbs up” and mark the post that provided the best answer by clicking on “Mark as Best Answer”***