Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mbandcm

Why does box 118 of a T5013 not flow through to the proper place on the tax return automatically? I have ignored this box in the past assuming it was "information only".

Most other boxes on the T5013 flow through to the tax return automatically so I have always ignored box 118 assuming it was either not appicable or for information purposes only.  I'm now seeing that I should have been including it on line 162 Gross business income.  Why then doesn't turbotax allow it to flow through automatically.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why does box 118 of a T5013 not flow through to the proper place on the tax return automatically? I have ignored this box in the past assuming it was "information only".

Here is what can help you to sort it through:

1) Box 118 (Gross business income)

Any amount showing in Box 118 for a Limited partner should not be entered.

The instruction to report the amount on line 162 is incorrect.

Box 118 applies only to a General partner (code 2 in Box 002, Partner code).

Moreover, according to the CRA Certification specifications, when Box 118 is present, Box 116 must also be present along with a NAICS Industry code.

The confusion arises from the changes made in the new T5013 slip.

There used to be a general purpose Box 34 (Partnership's total gross income) that was used for Limited partners. That box has been eliminated.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Here is what can help you to sort it through:

1) Box 118 (Gross business income)

Any amount showing in Box 118 for a Limited partner should not be entered.

The instruction to report the amount on line 162 is incorrect.

Box 118 applies only to a General partner (code 2 in Box 002, Partner code).

Moreover, according to the CRA Certification specifications, when Box 118 is present, Box 116 must also be present along with a NAICS Industry code.

The confusion arises from the changes made in the new T5013 slip.

There used to be a general purpose Box 34 (Partnership's total gross income) that was used for Limited partners. That box has been eliminated.

mbandcm

Thank you.  Very helpful.  I had looked in my past years' files to see how I had handled it and assumed a couple of years ago that it was not applicable because the amount in the box was so large (ie. $256MM).  I am now a bit concerned that I may be picking up other amounts that I don't need to be and incorrectly taxing myself on amounts.