Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
honnee70

Is there any difference between joint preparation and separate preparation? I prefer to split some income to my wife manually so that I can get benefit from RRSP.

In my situation, I have 115,000 cad income in 2014 while my wife is 25000 cad. I contributed 20,000 cad to RRSP and my wife contributed 20000 cad to RRSP also. Can I use separate preparation and split some income to my wife so that it make my wife's RRSP MORE valuable for her refund?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
honnee70

Is there any difference between joint preparation and separate preparation? I prefer to split some income to my wife manually so that I can get benefit from RRSP.

7 Replies

What forms if income do you have? Employment?
honnee70

All incomes are from employment.

That rules out pension spitting.

Also, if you are an employee and so is your spouse, that pretty much rules out splitting income at source, for example by employing your partner or children.

If you have dependant children under 18 living with you and supported by you, you could receive up to $2000 Family Tax Cut, although this not real income splitting.

I'd suggest you be careful with RRSP amounts. Make sure that neither of you exceed your 2014 Amount A deduction limit. Obviously, the more you put into your RRSP the better , up to your limit, since you have a higher marginal tax rate. At your spouse's income level, you may also want to look at TFSAs.

If you like this, let me know and I'll make it answer.

Please indicate a helpful if this is! Thx
honnee70

thank you.
honnee70

It is helpful. Thank you TonyC1.

Ok can you click the box for me? It may assist other people that have encountered this issue. Thx!