Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
EnglishEN

Pick a language

Français English
Announcements
If you experience technical issues while doing your taxes, you can get the latest information in

The Help Center

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Are prenatal class fees either a medical and/or education expense?

The course was at a College and instruction give by a registered nurse.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Not educational as it does not contribute to employment, unless you call 20 years of child-rearing employment.  I doubt that prenatal classes are eligible, but if CRA does not ask to see the receipts it is a possibility.  At least it is borderline.  Be aware that medical costs must be more than 3% of your net income before you can begin to claim.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Not educational as it does not contribute to employment, unless you call 20 years of child-rearing employment.  I doubt that prenatal classes are eligible, but if CRA does not ask to see the receipts it is a possibility.  At least it is borderline.  Be aware that medical costs must be more than 3% of your net income before you can begin to claim.

View solution in original post

According to the CRA website, they ARE covered.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns300-350/330-331/dtlxpns-eng.ht...

Pre-natal and post-natal treatments paid to a medical practitioner or a public or licensed private hospital.

Here is a screen shot from the CRA website: http://postimg.org/image/6iweeb9vl/

My feeling is that pre-natal classes would not be considered treatments, but you have nothing to lose by giving it a shot.