Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

As a freelancer, I was paid for a job in euros. it was converted to Canadian dollars and deposited to my account. Is it Canadian income? If not, where do I enter it?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

As a freelancer, I was paid for a job in euros. it was converted to Canadian dollars and deposited to my account. Is it Canadian income? If not, where do I enter it?

If you are a Canadian resident, you are required to report on your world wide income. Therefore, freelance job income must still be reported.

You can report this as foreign business income and report any tax paid to claim your foreign tax credit.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

If you are a Canadian resident, you are required to report on your world wide income. Therefore, freelance job income must still be reported.

You can report this as foreign business income and report any tax paid to claim your foreign tax credit.

I know that I must report it. My question is where (foreign business income) and how to specify the euros or US funds, etc.

Are you using the TurboTax Online or the Desktop product?

The desktop product. Thanks for your help Monica

Also, I did not pay foreign tax so there is no tax credit involved.

If that is the case, then you can report it as self-employment income under T2125 (make sure you convert the amount to Canadian dollars), this way you can declare any expenses.

Or you can report it as foreign business income. This is found under Deductions & Credits => Payments profile => Foreign tax credit. You will have to skip through the "foreign non business income" screens before you get to the "foreign business income" screens.

Lovely! Thanks so much for your help.