Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems Figuring Out How Much Tuition to Transfer Provincially and Federally

I am trying to transfer all of the tuition that is listed on my T2202A but I am not sure how much of this total tuition to transfer federally and/or provincially.

I've already been informed I can figure out exactly how much of the tuition to transfer in each by filling out the schedule 11 and ON(S11) but honestly that isn't very helpful advice because in order to do so I need information from a bunch of other schedules to do it right and I don't know why I'd bother using this software if I had to fill out all the other schedules by hand just to get an answer for this :(

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

To determine the amount of tuition and education amounts you can transfer, ensure you have entered all your other income information and then do the following:

1.  Select Deductions Students on the Navigation menu

2.  Select the the options on the Students Profile that are applicable to your situation (i.e. your T2202A tuition slip, tuition and education amounts carried forward from a prior year, Transfer to a parent, grandparent or spouse). Click continue

3.  Enter your T2202A information and click Done with T2202A

4.  If you indicated that you have tuition and education amounts carried forward from 2015, enter the Federal and Provincial amounts on the Unused tuition and education amounts screen.  These amounts are found on your 2015 Notice of Assessment. Click continue.

5.  The Transfer Tuition and Education (Federal)  screen will show you the maximum amount of your tuition that may be transferred.  You can enter up to that amount as a transfer to either a spouse/common-law partner or a parent or grandparent in the appropriate field. Click Continue

6.  The Transfer Tuition and Education (Provincial) screen will likewise show you the maximum amount that may be transferred, and again you can enter up to that amount as a transfer to either a spouse/common-law partner or a parent or grandparent.

You can then indicate these amounts on the back of the paper copy of your T2202A slip and sign it to give to the person to whom you are transferring the amounts for their records.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

To determine the amount of tuition and education amounts you can transfer, ensure you have entered all your other income information and then do the following:

1.  Select Deductions Students on the Navigation menu

2.  Select the the options on the Students Profile that are applicable to your situation (i.e. your T2202A tuition slip, tuition and education amounts carried forward from a prior year, Transfer to a parent, grandparent or spouse). Click continue

3.  Enter your T2202A information and click Done with T2202A

4.  If you indicated that you have tuition and education amounts carried forward from 2015, enter the Federal and Provincial amounts on the Unused tuition and education amounts screen.  These amounts are found on your 2015 Notice of Assessment. Click continue.

5.  The Transfer Tuition and Education (Federal)  screen will show you the maximum amount of your tuition that may be transferred.  You can enter up to that amount as a transfer to either a spouse/common-law partner or a parent or grandparent in the appropriate field. Click Continue

6.  The Transfer Tuition and Education (Provincial) screen will likewise show you the maximum amount that may be transferred, and again you can enter up to that amount as a transfer to either a spouse/common-law partner or a parent or grandparent.

You can then indicate these amounts on the back of the paper copy of your T2202A slip and sign it to give to the person to whom you are transferring the amounts for their records.

Yes, I understood all that. I think you misunderstand my question. I want to know HOW MUCH of the total tuition on the T2202A should I type into the federal and provincial boxes EACH to transfer. (If it helps, the total amount is less than the maximum amount in both sections).

Thanks!

You do not need to split the amount from the T2202A between federal and provincial if that's what you're asking.

The total amount you're able to transfer includes the tuition fees listed on your T2202A and the Education and Textbook credits, which are determined based on the number of months of part time and/or full time studies indicated in boxes B & C, respectively.

You can claim up to the maximum transfer for BOTH Federal and Provincial.

Yes, that is exactly what I am asking.

Okay, so if I don't need to split the total. (Let's say it's $1,000 in total for argument's sake, it isn't, but we'll just say it is so I fully understand things here). Am I correct in assuming I would claim $1,000 in both federal and provincial?

As long as that is within the maximum shown for each, yes.

Thank you so much, you've been extremely helpful 🙂

you're most welcome!