Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I allocate tuition to a parent if they are not filing on TurboTax? Is there a chance of this hurting my return?

My Mom wants to claim some of my tuition in her return, but doesn't use TurboTax. How much tuition can I claim for my own return? How much is she allowed to claim? Can she claim tuition that is 'carried over' from past years?

Just not sure how the claiming and allocating of tuition works and this is my first year filing on TT, would appreciate any advice/insight!

1 Reply

Can I allocate tuition to a parent if they are not filing on TurboTax? Is there a chance of this hurting my return?

Your mom doesn't need to use TurboTax for you to transfer tuition to her. But why isn't she? Just kidding 🙂 We're super glad you decided to give us a try.

You first need to prepare your tax return. The CRA's rule is that you can only transfer tuition amounts that you don't need yourself on your own return to reduce your tax payable to zero. The easiest way to figure out how much you have left over to transfer to mom is to prepare your return.

TurboTax makes this easy; once you've entered everything and let us know you want to transfer the amounts you don't need, TurboTax will tell you the amounts you need to tell your mom so she can enter them on her return. You can choose to give her all your unused amounts or you can choose to transfer her a portion and save some for yourself for a future year. 

Here's the step-by-step: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2648072