Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
santiago1

Can I declare as a tuition fee the examination fees required by a professional order needed to obtain the work licence/permit in Quebec?

I'm an immigrant (permanent resident) trying to obtain a work permit from a professional order of Québec. This order has an examination fee of your file to determine If you need to do some more formation courses or if your qualifications are correct to exercise the profession. Besides de cost of this analysis, I had to submit my dossier translated to English/French (equivalence of formation, CV, etc). I had to translate all of my diplomas, certificates, notes, programs, etc to have that evaluation done.

Is it possible to pass these cost tuition fees?

Thanks,

1 Reply

Can I declare as a tuition fee the examination fees required by a professional order needed to obtain the work licence/permit in Quebec?

Yes you can.

The following are eligible tuition fees and expenses:

• fees paid for admission or tuition in a qualifying program;
  • charges for laboratory or library facilities;
  • exemption fees;
  • examination fees (including re-reading charges);
  • application fees (but only if you later enroll in the institution);
  • confirmation fees;
  • charges for a certificate, diploma, or degree;
  • membership or seminar fees (must be specifically related to an academic program and its administration);
  • mandatory computer service fees;
  • academic fees;
  • cost of books that are included in the total fees for a correspondence course taken through a post-secondary educational institution in Canada; and
  • fees such as athletic and health services fees, paid to a university, college, or other educational institution in addition to your tuition for post-secondary courses, when such fees are required to be paid by all students. If the fees do not have to be paid by all students, the amount of eligible fees is limited to $250. 

How to enter them in on the online version:

• "Deductions" tab - "Students" - and start from there.

Also here is a link from TurboTax that will provide you with more information:

What tuition, education, and other expenses can a student claim