Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Oct 31, 2019 12:31:39 AM

Can I Pension Split UK government and UK company pensions on Canadian taxes?

0 4 1918
1 Best answer
Level 6
Oct 31, 2019 12:31:41 AM

Yes, these amounts are foreign pensions when received in Canada and are both taxable.

The amounts can be used for Pension splitting, assuming the other conditions for splitting are followed.

One thing to note. Neither pension should have been taxed by HMRC, if you are resident fo tax purposes in Canada. That means in the splitting situation you will transfer No tax across for these amounts. 

4 Replies
Level 6
Oct 31, 2019 12:31:41 AM

Yes, these amounts are foreign pensions when received in Canada and are both taxable.

The amounts can be used for Pension splitting, assuming the other conditions for splitting are followed.

One thing to note. Neither pension should have been taxed by HMRC, if you are resident fo tax purposes in Canada. That means in the splitting situation you will transfer No tax across for these amounts. 

Oct 31, 2019 12:31:42 AM

Thanks TonyC1, that's what I thought.  For some reason CRA has reassessed my 2017 and disallowed my claim, having previously accepted.

Level 6
Oct 31, 2019 12:31:44 AM

Do they say why?

Oct 31, 2019 12:31:45 AM

No they didn't.  Spoke to them today, looks like they made a mistake but I need to lodge a formal objection to have it reversed.