Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Oct 30, 2019 5:22:17 AM

Do i get cpp that i paid back for 2016 if i was only 18 years old for 4 months of that tax year?

0 2 1022
1 Best answer
Oct 30, 2019 5:22:20 AM

To determine how much you may or may not have over contributed to cpp, determine how many months you were a participant.  You become a participant the month following the month you turned 18.  So you say you were 18 for 4 months...if that means you turned 18 on September then you were a participant from October on.  Only your earnings from that point on would be subject to the calculation.  Also, there is a basic exemption which is prorated...again based on the number of eligible months divided by 12.  You would multiply that by $3500 and subtract the result from the income earned during your eligible months.  That result is then multiplied by 4.95%.  Compare this amount to box 16 of your T4 (s).  If box 16 is greater then you will see the difference as a refundable credit on your tax return. 

2 Replies
Level 6
Oct 30, 2019 5:22:19 AM

The answer is maybe. Depends how much you earned and how CPP was deducted.
Ideally you want CPP to accumulate.

Oct 30, 2019 5:22:20 AM

To determine how much you may or may not have over contributed to cpp, determine how many months you were a participant.  You become a participant the month following the month you turned 18.  So you say you were 18 for 4 months...if that means you turned 18 on September then you were a participant from October on.  Only your earnings from that point on would be subject to the calculation.  Also, there is a basic exemption which is prorated...again based on the number of eligible months divided by 12.  You would multiply that by $3500 and subtract the result from the income earned during your eligible months.  That result is then multiplied by 4.95%.  Compare this amount to box 16 of your T4 (s).  If box 16 is greater then you will see the difference as a refundable credit on your tax return.