Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I Pension Split UK government and UK company pensions on Canadian taxes?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Yes, these amounts are foreign pensions when received in Canada and are both taxable.

The amounts can be used for Pension splitting, assuming the other conditions for splitting are followed.

One thing to note. Neither pension should have been taxed by HMRC, if you are resident fo tax purposes in Canada. That means in the splitting situation you will transfer No tax across for these amounts. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Yes, these amounts are foreign pensions when received in Canada and are both taxable.

The amounts can be used for Pension splitting, assuming the other conditions for splitting are followed.

One thing to note. Neither pension should have been taxed by HMRC, if you are resident fo tax purposes in Canada. That means in the splitting situation you will transfer No tax across for these amounts. 

Thanks TonyC1, that's what I thought.  For some reason CRA has reassessed my 2017 and disallowed my claim, having previously accepted.

Do they say why?

No they didn't.  Spoke to them today, looks like they made a mistake but I need to lodge a formal objection to have it reversed.