Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone have any experience with a LIRA (locked in retirement account)? Can I claim my account under RRSP? It is a one time contribution.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Does anyone have any experience with a LIRA (locked in retirement account)? Can I claim my account under RRSP? It is a one time contribution.

No, you cannot claim an RRSP deduction for a one-time LIRA contribution. The reason for this is basically "you have already got a tax deduction for this when you contributed to your pension plan". You know the pension adjustment that was on your T4 each year? That was for the dollars that were in your pension and are now in your LIRA. Regardless of whether the pension was transferred into your RRSP or LIRA, it would have no effect on your tax return because it is not a "new contribution".

View solution in original post

1 Reply

No, you cannot claim an RRSP deduction for a one-time LIRA contribution. The reason for this is basically "you have already got a tax deduction for this when you contributed to your pension plan". You know the pension adjustment that was on your T4 each year? That was for the dollars that were in your pension and are now in your LIRA. Regardless of whether the pension was transferred into your RRSP or LIRA, it would have no effect on your tax return because it is not a "new contribution".