Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File taxes is greyed out, can't file, can only save what I did. Put in CPP in employment form, am on CPP disability, but the form keeps saying that I have no income. Help

Having trouble filing. Don't understand what I am doing.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

File taxes is greyed out, can't file, can only save what I did. Put in CPP in employment form, am on CPP disability, but the form keeps saying that I have no income. Help

Hi there. I can help with your problem.

There are a couple of things we need to cover. First, the software thinks you have zero income because that T4 entry is in an information only box. Step one - delete the T4 completely.

Step two - Your CPP income would have come on a T4A(P). This has the proper spots to declare the pension income - namely boxes 16/20 for total income/disability benefit.

Once you delete the T4 entry and fill in the T4A(P) with the proper boxes, the error you're receiving will go away.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Hi there. I can help with your problem.

There are a couple of things we need to cover. First, the software thinks you have zero income because that T4 entry is in an information only box. Step one - delete the T4 completely.

Step two - Your CPP income would have come on a T4A(P). This has the proper spots to declare the pension income - namely boxes 16/20 for total income/disability benefit.

Once you delete the T4 entry and fill in the T4A(P) with the proper boxes, the error you're receiving will go away.

Hope this helps!

Thank you, Maria.

Where do I find the T4A(P) on
https://2015.free.turbotaxonline.intuit.ca/secure/
as I am not sure how to locate it.

In the Free version, enter T4AP in the search bar and that form will appear as the only option.

It states:

"In Profile section, you would need to select Yes to "did you work in 2014?" and check T4A.

Then select Yes to question "did you withdraw money from a retirement account or receive retirement-type income, such as a pension or annuity?" and check T4A P and T4A OAS.

Later in the interview, it would ask you to enter those information to the form."

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/questions/1151320-where-do-i-enter-pensions-t4a-t4a-oas-t4ap

Where is my profile section?

You can tell that I have never done this online before...

Hi again. That info relates to other TurboTax products, not TurboTax Free. Easiest thing to do is to find the T4 and remove it, then search in the search bar for a T4AP and fill in the proper boxes there.

Thank you, Jennifer

I have deleted the T4, but I cannot find a search bar to look for the T4AP.

Okay, I now have a page that says T4A(P)
Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits

"Box 20 - Taxable CPP benefits: You do not need to enter the amount that appears in box 20 of your T4A(P). Instead, enter the benefits received according to their type in boxes 14 to 19, which should also appear on your T4A(P) slip."

I was able to locate those boxes on the CPP T4A (P)  hard copy sent to me by the federal government.

I did find the part that had me enter X amount for the disability pension and for 12 months, but did not get the entire form, (where one ticks the boxes to apply for Trillium for example.) Will I get Trillium if I did not check the box that I could not see for the entire general tax form, or does that only appear on the pdf after one had filed electronically?

The pdf itself downloaded with the complete tax forms, but I did not find them while on line filling out the questions, so I am not sure if I had answered everything in order to apply for the Trillium benefit.
All I had done on line was to enter the amount of my CPP disability benefit in Box 16 and also fill out Box 21, Number of months/disability.

Could not find the entire federal/Ontario tax forms while filling out the information, or was it not supplied, and we just were given certain bits and pieces of it?

Was able to complete and file, with all the assistance (thanks to all!) but am now unsure if I did this correctly, since I did not see the complete tax guide while on line
Thank you for your assistance.

Happy to help. If you filled in the OTB info (rent, property tax, etc) you will receive the benefit assuming you qualify. Have a look at the pdf and check to see if the ONBEN form was included.

Thank you Jennifer.

I had originally filled out the amount of rent that I had paid in the T4, (I think that it was,) but it may have been deleted when asked to do the T4A (P) instead.Is there any way to include that after the Netfile had been sent?

The pdf said:

"If you meet these conditions and are applying for the 2016 OEPTC, tick this box. 6118
The box has an x in it.
Complete Parts A and B on the back of this form
[I did not see the back of the form unless they meant this:]
"Part A – Amount paid for a principal residence for 2015
"Enter the total amount of rent paid for your principal residence (including a private
long-term care home) in Ontario for 2015."

On Part A it has:
"Enter the total amount of property tax paid for your principal residence in Ontario for 2015. 6112"
That was not filled out, I filled out B...

I think that I had somehow ended up in the B Section, which said:
"Part B – Declaration

Complete Part B if you are applying for the OEPTC, the NOEC, or the OSHPTG.
In the column "Amount paid for 2015", enter the amount(s) paid for rent, property tax, home energy costs on a reserve, and/or accommodation in a public long-term care home.

I declare the following information about my principal residence(s) in Ontario during 2015:
(If you need more space, attach a separate sheet of paper.)
Address, Postal code,  Number of months resident in 2015
Amount paid for 2015, Name of landlord, municipality, or supplier to whom payment was made, as applicable"

So, I am not sure if it made a difference by not filling out Part A and putting Part B instead and if that will prevent me from getting the Trillium payments that I have been receiving the way I do now?

http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/credit/oeptc/

Thank you.

I would follow up with CRA after you receive your Notice of Assessment. If the ONBEN hasn't been submitted properly, you can file an adjustment easily. Best to wait until your return has been processed but in the meantime, sign up for a CRA My Account so you can submit the adjustment online if it's needed. Doing an adjustment online is much quicker than via mail (2 weeks processing vs 6-8 weeks).