Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RegSat

How do I access Schedule 8? I need to be able to elect to stop CPP contributions on self-employment earnings on line 372 as I am over 65 and a CPP recipient.

There ought to be a place in TurboTax where you can indicate whether you elect or have previously elected to stop CPP contributions.

One should not have to mail in the form (as appears to be the case), the ability to make the election should be built in.

There should have been an alert on last years taxes that I would be able to make the election to stop CPP contributions after tuning 65, now, apparently I have to wait until next year to be exempt, it is costing me a large chunk of money!
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IntuitLuc

How do I access Schedule 8? I need to be able to elect to stop CPP contributions on self-employment earnings on line 372 as I am over 65 and a CPP recipient.

Under the Income Tab, select T-Slips -> T4AP Canada Pension Plan Benefits. This will take you to the screen which summarizes the Canada Pension Plan benefits received.   Below the summary there is a question "Did you have self-employment earnings in 2014?" Answer Yes and answer the remaining questions.

View solution in original post

23 Replies
IntuitLuc

Under the Income Tab, select T-Slips -> T4AP Canada Pension Plan Benefits. This will take you to the screen which summarizes the Canada Pension Plan benefits received.   Below the summary there is a question "Did you have self-employment earnings in 2014?" Answer Yes and answer the remaining questions.

RegSat

Thank you!

I tried this and answered the questions, but I do not see a Schedule 8 on my return.
RegSat

There should be a schedule 8 in the "archive" version of your return. The "submit" version is shorter and does not include it. Make sure the earliest month you select to stop contributing to CPP is the month in which you turned 65.
null362

Here is a definite answer:   Do the following:   INCOME > OTHER INCOME SOURCES > OTHER INCOME NOT REPORTED ON T-4
Check the box “I want to make optional CPP or QPP contributions"

I can't get it to stop CPP, there is the spot on schedule 8 to stay stop CPP on Self-employment income. I am over 65 only have self-employment. The turbo tax software does not allow me to make the election to put month to stop CPP. How can I get the software to allow me to enter on the schedule 8?

You will need to make sure that you are between the ages of 65 and 70. 

You will then need to enter your T4A(P) no matter if you have one or not- Under the T4A(P) Summary You will see the following questions below which I am sharing as a screenshot.

dwchoi1668
Returning Member

Hi

I have self-employment income in 2022 and have not filed the CPT30  form in 2022.    I want to stop the CPP  contribution in the 2022 tax return. I use Turbo tax Standard and input the data on T4A (P) summary which is the same as you showed in the screenshot.  I checked Schedule 8 which is correct. unfortunately, Turbox tax detected an error that prevent me from net file the tax return. I spoke to turbo support a number of times 

(Case # [phone number removed],  investigation ID  INV-24671). They provided me with a suggestion (see response below)  but it is not working.

Hello

Thanks for letting us know about your concerns with the error to elect to stop CPP contributions. We apologize for any inconvenience this caused.

We appreciate your patience while we looked into this for you. After investigating the issue, we found that upon reviewing the return that on the T4AP summary page, you will also have to select yes to the first question and enter a date that you have elected to stop CPP contributions.

If you’re still having trouble or there’s something else that we can help you with, please reach out to our TurboTax Canada team for further assistance [phone number removed].

Thank you,

Sylvia M

TurboTax Canada

I keep getting errors. Any suggestion? Thank you

dwchoi1668
Returning Member

The turbotax case number is [phone number removed]