Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bakewell

How do I enter our daughter's tuition that we paid, in our return?

We have receipts from Mount Royal University in Calgary for our daughter's tuition. I do not know how to enter this in our tax return.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Your daughter needs to claim the tuition on her return.  On her Schedule 11 and provincial Schedule 11 it will show how much can be transferred to yourself or your spouse.  You will enter this on your return clicking "Deductions & Credits" in the column on the left, and selecting "Dependant's Credits."  Select your daughter's name in the list of Dependants, and then click "Enter Dependant Credits."  You will then see a checklist, one of which is for "Transfer my child's tuition and education amounts."  Make sure this is selected, then click "Continue" and follow the prompts.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Your daughter needs to claim the tuition on her return.  On her Schedule 11 and provincial Schedule 11 it will show how much can be transferred to yourself or your spouse.  You will enter this on your return clicking "Deductions & Credits" in the column on the left, and selecting "Dependant's Credits."  Select your daughter's name in the list of Dependants, and then click "Enter Dependant Credits."  You will then see a checklist, one of which is for "Transfer my child's tuition and education amounts."  Make sure this is selected, then click "Continue" and follow the prompts.

Hi, thank you for using Intuit turbotax Live Community

The student must report the tuition on their own tax return first. It does not matter to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) who paid the tuition fees, the claim is for the student. The University must issue a form T2202 for the tuition paid in the year. The T2202 is the official document for the tuition claim on the T1. The student may chose to transfer up to $5,000  to a parent from the tuition paid in the tax year not required by the student to reduce tax owing.

Find more information in this great turbotax article:

https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/claiming-a-tuition-amount-from-your-childs-college-5123

Hope this helps