Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Oct 29, 2019 7:12:06 PM

I am a full time student who worked part time throughout my entire school year 2014. Why am I not eligible for the working income tax benefit?

0 1 1401
1 Best answer
Oct 29, 2019 7:12:06 PM

For eligibility for the Working income tax benefit (WITB) please see

2. Are you eligible for the WITB?
You are eligible for the WITB if:

• You are 19 years of age or older on December 31st; and
  • You are a resident of Canada for income tax purposes throughout the year.

Exception
If you are under 19 years of age, you may still be eligible for the WITB, if you have a spouse or common-law partner or an eligible dependant on December 31st.

You are not eligible for the WITB if:

• You do not have an eligible dependant and are enrolled as a full-time student at a designated educational institution for more than 13 weeks in the year;
  • You are confined to a prison or similar institution for a period of 90 days or more in the year; or
  • You do not have to pay tax in Canada because you are an officer or servant of another country, such as a diplomat, or a family member or employee of such person

1 Replies
Oct 29, 2019 7:12:06 PM

For eligibility for the Working income tax benefit (WITB) please see

2. Are you eligible for the WITB?
You are eligible for the WITB if:

• You are 19 years of age or older on December 31st; and
  • You are a resident of Canada for income tax purposes throughout the year.

Exception
If you are under 19 years of age, you may still be eligible for the WITB, if you have a spouse or common-law partner or an eligible dependant on December 31st.

You are not eligible for the WITB if:

• You do not have an eligible dependant and are enrolled as a full-time student at a designated educational institution for more than 13 weeks in the year;
  • You are confined to a prison or similar institution for a period of 90 days or more in the year; or
  • You do not have to pay tax in Canada because you are an officer or servant of another country, such as a diplomat, or a family member or employee of such person