Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am completing my mother-in-law income taxes this year. She is on CPP and OAP. she moved into a private nursing in 2018 - how do i claim rent, food and medical.

where do i claim rent and medical expenses for nursing home. collection OAP and CPP

1 Reply

I am completing my mother-in-law income taxes this year. She is on CPP and OAP. she moved into a private nursing in 2018 - how do i claim rent, food and medical.

All regular fees paid to a nursing home including food, accommodation, nursing care, administration, maintenance, social programming, and activities qualify as medical expenses.

This is claimed in the Medical Profile under the Deductions tab.  When you are entering your medical expenses, there is a drop down for the “type” of expense and the “nursing home” options are there.

As for her CPP and OAP, she would have received Tslips - T4A(OAS), T4A(P) or T4A, this is found under the Income tab then Tslips.

If needed, for further assistance, take advantage of our Live & Assist Team of Experts:

I'm using TurboTax Live Assist & Review. How do I talk to a tax expert?https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/3456106