Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I did not report RRSP contributions yet turbo is tellinf me i did and therefore i have to purchase turbo standard, nice,

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I did not report RRSP contributions yet turbo is tellinf me i did and therefore i have to purchase turbo standard, nice,

Hi,

can you try this out?

- login to your account and then click the Profile tab->Personal Tax Profile

- Next to RRSPs, click the blue "Edit" button

- Now on the page that loads, there should be a question that asks:
  "did you make contributions to a retirement plan such as an RRSP...?"
   Click "Yes" to open the subsection and ensure everything is unchecked.
   Then click "No".

- Make sure the other questions do not have anything checked.

- Click Continue to save your changes.

- Notice that on the Profile Tax Summary page (Profile tab->Personal Tax Profile), the RRSPs section should say "None."

Please let me know if this helps.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Hi,

can you try this out?

- login to your account and then click the Profile tab->Personal Tax Profile

- Next to RRSPs, click the blue "Edit" button

- Now on the page that loads, there should be a question that asks:
  "did you make contributions to a retirement plan such as an RRSP...?"
   Click "Yes" to open the subsection and ensure everything is unchecked.
   Then click "No".

- Make sure the other questions do not have anything checked.

- Click Continue to save your changes.

- Notice that on the Profile Tax Summary page (Profile tab->Personal Tax Profile), the RRSPs section should say "None."

Please let me know if this helps.

tifsha

This is the same for me, yet it still says that I need to upgrade, and I only have one T4 slip, nothing else. I even tried to start a new account and it does the same thing. Nothing is check off in the RRSP, and yet it says that it is.

Hi tifsha,

I've updated my answer with screenshots of what a return would look like if it only has a single T4 and someone is in TTO Free. Notice on the Tax Profile Summary, everything is set to None except the Income section.
My payment screen shows that I can file for free.

If this isn't the case for you, please make sure you go through your Profile and ensure that all your sections have nothing checked off except for T4.
tifsha

Sounds about right, but it does not work for me :( . I've only got the t4's section and nothing else and went though to see if anything is check off when you click off yes and nothing, then I created 2 more accounts and yet in everyone it still says I have RRSP info. Strange. I've used Turbo Tax for years and never had this issue.

As a test, can you try creating a new return (at the top right, click Tools->Return Manager), be sure to select Free.  Fill in the personal information (Intro) section and in the Profile section leave everything blank (just click Continue).  At the Tax Profile Summary page, it should say None for all sections.  Jump to the end by clicking File tab->Print your Tax Return.
You should see the payment screen and hopefully it says Free.
tifsha

I'm trying that right now, lets see...thanks   ðŸ™‚
tifsha

Hmm well that works if I don't select a tuition transfer.I just figured out that a tuition transfer from my daughter requires an upgrade to Standard, I guess this is not a "deduction report on any slip" so they require you to pay. yet the error does not say that :(

Ah ok, I'm glad I could help.  Thanks for letting me know what your issue was, that looks like a bug in the upgrade screen.  It says:
    You told us you have one or more of the following:

Income or deductions not reported on a slip.
    RRSP contributions.

But it should probably say something about claiming dependants credits.