Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't know how to carry forward my tuition amount for future use. Tried to call for help and they hung up on me because the "helper" didn't know how to help.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I don't know how to carry forward my tuition amount for future use. Tried to call for help and they hung up on me because the "helper" didn't know how to help.

I will help you.  Tuition can only be carried forward if you don't need it to bring your tax payable to zero.  As long as you have tax to pay the whole amount will be used.  If there is any left over after your tax payable is zero, it will automatically be carried forward so there is nothing you really need to do apart from enter the amounts from your slips.  There is also an option to transfer some to a parent, spouse or grandparent when you don't use it all.  Look on your Student Summary to see how it has been handled by TurboTax.  This is found under Deductions/Students.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

I will help you.  Tuition can only be carried forward if you don't need it to bring your tax payable to zero.  As long as you have tax to pay the whole amount will be used.  If there is any left over after your tax payable is zero, it will automatically be carried forward so there is nothing you really need to do apart from enter the amounts from your slips.  There is also an option to transfer some to a parent, spouse or grandparent when you don't use it all.  Look on your Student Summary to see how it has been handled by TurboTax.  This is found under Deductions/Students.

Turbo took tuition carried forward far more than was required! Federal 26,800 and provincial 19,600 (total 46,500) even though my taxable income is 44,000! This is ridiculous that we can't enter the amount we want to claim, not the amount that will lose us valuable deductions!

If your income is high enough to use up all the tuition credits available, nothing will be carried forward.  Perhaps there is some other issue with your return.  Do you have an amount owing?

I will repeat it yet again. I don't want to use all the carry forward this year. I want to use it in the future. Turbo is taking the full amount of carryforward, $46,500, even though my taxable income is $44,000. Why is it taking the full amount, more than needed to reduce the income to zero??
My second concern is CRA's rule of using all the carry-forward until the taxable income is zero! This is counter-intuitive to supporting students in their early years of employment. You should be able to reduce taxable income to the amount of being non-taxable, which is approximately $11,000 I believe. I know Turbo can do nothing about CRA rules but this should be changed to support those starting out.
chazer

Is this a new rule? In previous years, my accountant only used certain amounts of my tuition credit and carried forward the rest. Why is that not an option in TurboTax? There is a "Tuition Fees Carryforward" option in the search menu and when I get to the page, it says "Your unused tuition amounts are used to reduce your tax payable to $0. You can carry any unused amounts forward until you need them." But then once I submit the amounts, the summary shows that the entire amount will be used and "Amount available to carry forward to future years" is 0.00. This contradicts what you are saying...

Is there an answer for this? I have the same issue, I do not want to use my entire tuition carry forward amount. Is there a way to claim a certain  amount for 2019 and claim an unused amount to carry forward indefinitely till I need to use it!

yza580

Hi I need help on this as well, in your reply you said if I don't have tax payable the tuition will carry forward automatically, but now after I uploaded my T2202, in student summary last two lines: amount claimed in 2022 and amount available to carry forward to future years are both showing 0s. How do I carry my tuition forward? And I just checked my last year's filling, unfortunately, I didn't catch this last year and I neither used my tuition nor carried it forward.

In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.