Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kaidenho

I entered a T2202 for student tuition fees but I am not able to claim it as a deduction and it is being carried into the next year even though I have a balance due.

1 Reply

I entered a T2202 for student tuition fees but I am not able to claim it as a deduction and it is being carried into the next year even though I have a balance due.

To claim your tuition you will: 

1. Select the icon of the magnifying glass (or Find) on TurboTax and type Students.
  2. Select Students from the list of results, and then select Go. The Your Student Profile step appears.
  3. Select Tuition fees on a receipt, T2202A, or TL11, and then select Continue. The Let’s Get You Some Tax Breaks For Going to School! step appears.
  4. Fill out your selected form. If you have more than one tuition to claim, select Enter New Tuition Slip and fill out another form, repeating this step for each additional tuition slip.
  5. Select Done with Tuition Fees. The T2202A, TL11, and Tuition Fees Paid-Summary step appear.
  6. Review the information on the screen and follow the instructions that match your situation.

TurboTax will use what is needed to make sure that you do not have a balance owing if you have enough tuition left to cover the amount owing- the difference will be carry-forward to next year.