Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have eligible retirement amount in Box 66 of T4 slip. This should be reflected as a RRSP transfer on Box 14 of Schedule 7. But its in Box 15 instead. Bug?

It seems Boxes 14 and 15 are reversed on the Schedule 7.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have eligible retirement amount in Box 66 of T4 slip. This should be reflected as a RRSP transfer on Box 14 of Schedule 7. But its in Box 15 instead. Bug?

The Eligible Retiring Allowance reported in box 14 of the schedule 7 reflects your amount transferred and is reported on your RRSP Contribution receipt as a contribution and transfer amount. The amount reported in box 15 is your RRSP contributions you are claiming for deduction and is exclusively reported as a contribution. If in the TurboTax you are not reporting the RRSP contribution amount as a transfer, as it is reported on your RRSP contribution receipt, it will not be reported on the Schedule 7 as an Eligible Transfer amount. The T4 amounts reported by your employer in box 66 reflect the amounts paid out that are eligible retiring allowances, whether these amounts are paid directly to an RRSP as a transfer amount or not.  An individual can receive the severance payment in full and contribute the eligible Retiring Allowance portion in the RRSP contribution year and still claim the amount as an Eligible Retiring Allowance, and informing the finaincial institution that the amount is an eligible retiring allowance would be beneficial. They would have to claim the amount on the TurboTax RRSP contribution receipt as a Designated Transfer of eligible income.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

The Eligible Retiring Allowance reported in box 14 of the schedule 7 reflects your amount transferred and is reported on your RRSP Contribution receipt as a contribution and transfer amount. The amount reported in box 15 is your RRSP contributions you are claiming for deduction and is exclusively reported as a contribution. If in the TurboTax you are not reporting the RRSP contribution amount as a transfer, as it is reported on your RRSP contribution receipt, it will not be reported on the Schedule 7 as an Eligible Transfer amount. The T4 amounts reported by your employer in box 66 reflect the amounts paid out that are eligible retiring allowances, whether these amounts are paid directly to an RRSP as a transfer amount or not.  An individual can receive the severance payment in full and contribute the eligible Retiring Allowance portion in the RRSP contribution year and still claim the amount as an Eligible Retiring Allowance, and informing the finaincial institution that the amount is an eligible retiring allowance would be beneficial. They would have to claim the amount on the TurboTax RRSP contribution receipt as a Designated Transfer of eligible income.

Using Turbo Tax Premiere, there is no way to specify an RRSP contribution as a transfer (it seems to do the calculation automatically)...but the amounts reported in Schedule 7 Boxes 14 and 15 are wrong (reversed).  I checked the 2016 version of Turbo Tax and this issue does not exist (the amounts are reported correctly)