Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have made loans to a business and those loans have cost me interest. Where do I claim the interest on those loans? Thank you

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have made loans to a business and those loans have cost me interest. Where do I claim the interest on those loans? Thank you

It would be claimed on Schedule 4 of your return. Applied to a receipt entered into the Turbo Tax software.

Where to enter in this receipt with your online version is as follows:

Question section firstly to 2nd page - 

• YES to did you have income from investments such as interest earned on investments, the sale of stocks or stock options, the sale of real property, income from rental property or other related investment expenses?
  • YES Did you have investment expenses?
  • CHECK - I paid interest expenses
  • Income Tab - Drop down to Investment Expenses
  • CHECK - Interest paid to earn interest, dividend and royalty income
  • CONTINUE and enter in your amount in the next screen.      

For those users that may be using the downloaded version, here is how to get to it through Easy Step

Profile question section:

In FormsView

• On the bottom of the page click on Tslips from there you will find  in Receipts -  "Interest Exp.", this is where you enter in your amount and it is automatically brought over to Schedule 4 - line 25 & 27.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

It would be claimed on Schedule 4 of your return. Applied to a receipt entered into the Turbo Tax software.

Where to enter in this receipt with your online version is as follows:

Question section firstly to 2nd page - 

• YES to did you have income from investments such as interest earned on investments, the sale of stocks or stock options, the sale of real property, income from rental property or other related investment expenses?
  • YES Did you have investment expenses?
  • CHECK - I paid interest expenses
  • Income Tab - Drop down to Investment Expenses
  • CHECK - Interest paid to earn interest, dividend and royalty income
  • CONTINUE and enter in your amount in the next screen.      

For those users that may be using the downloaded version, here is how to get to it through Easy Step

Profile question section:

In FormsView

• On the bottom of the page click on Tslips from there you will find  in Receipts -  "Interest Exp.", this is where you enter in your amount and it is automatically brought over to Schedule 4 - line 25 & 27.