Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm supposed to be able to transfer $5000 from my son's tuition onto my 2019 return. The "Tuition Transfer Amount" screen says I'm limited to $0. Where can I enter this?

4 Replies

I'm supposed to be able to transfer $5000 from my son's tuition onto my 2019 return. The "Tuition Transfer Amount" screen says I'm limited to $0. Where can I enter this?

Are you seeing the $0 amount on your return? His return? Perhaps it’s going to your spouse instead of you?

FYI: $5000 is the maximum that you might be able to transfer. However, the actual amount that you can transfer depends on your family’s situation.

Hi. Thanks for getting back to me.

On the "Tuition Transfer Amount" screen, I have his tuition from Fed Sched 11 lines 2 + 3, zeroes on the rest of the lines (except months of study). I click "Tuition Transfer" and enter $5000, which is the amount he transferred to me (on the back of his T2202), and I'm supposed to put on Fed Sched 1 line 32400. After I click I get a message that the maximum transferable amount is $0.

Problem solved! 

It turned out that I had accidentally entered my son's net income as $866,000 instead of $8,660. That info is entered way before any tuition transfer stuff, and I didn't connect the two. As soon as I corrected his income, the amount of tuition transferred was automatically set to $5000.

It would have been useful to have the message say something about the reason I couldn't enter more than $0.

Thanks for the help.

SarahJacques
Returning Member

Do you know where I can go to check the dependant income? Im having the same issue where its saying my maximum i can claim is less than the total transferred to me