EnglishEN

Pick a language

Français English
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I need some help with a RRIF rollover for a deceased person.

Father passed away in March 2014

A will was in place indicating mother as beneficiary but mother was not designated as beneficiary for RRIF.

RRIF was rolled over to mother's name in June 2014

T4RIF for $100 was received in father's name (not the name of the estate).  Box 18.

A Contribution receipt was received in mother's name for $99

How do I report this on father's final return and mother's return using Turbotax?

Issuer of T4RIF indicated that I should use a T1090 but I don't see that as an option on Turbotax? 

I'm confused and need help asap.  Thank you.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Riff in father's name goes on his return.  Mother gets contribution receipt on her return. There are always a few things that get tidied up in the year of death.  Income that is received prior to the date of death is included on the return of the deceased person. There should be three months of Canada pension and possibly three months of OAS.  They just get entered as usual.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Riff in father's name goes on his return.  Mother gets contribution receipt on her return. There are always a few things that get tidied up in the year of death.  Income that is received prior to the date of death is included on the return of the deceased person. There should be three months of Canada pension and possibly three months of OAS.  They just get entered as usual.

View solution in original post

Thank you so much for the clarification!  Your timely response is much appreciated..

On a follow up note, could I trouble you to please advise if both returns can be filed online or if my father's return has to be mailed in again this year.  Thank you!

According to your original question, your father passed away in March 2014.  You should presently be doing his 2014 return as well as your mother's 2014 return.  What do you mean by "mailed in again this year?"  Have you already filed his return earlier?  If so, you will need to do a T1adjustment to report the late slip.

I mailed his 2013 return in 2014 and provided CRA with legal documents (will, death certificate) at the time.  I was wondering if the 2014 return should be sent by mail since I don't have to send in any legal documents this time.  2014 returns have not been submitted yet for both my mother and father.  Thank you!

You can try to netfile since the documentation is already at CRA.  If it won't netfile, you can print the CRA copy and mail it in.  Your mother's form will netfile without problems.  It sounds like you are good to go. 🙂

I think so too, this was the last thing I needed to be sure of and thanks to you, I can finally get it done.  :).  Thanks for helping me out!  You're a lifesaver.

Glad to help.  Best wishes

Sorry to appear dense on this subject and to bother you again, but for peace of mind I'd like to clarify one more thing:   does the amount on my mother's contribution receipt need to be reported on just line 232 or line 115 as well? Thanks again.