Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I received a letter informing me to claim a deduction on line 23200 "Income Amounts Repaid" - Does anyone know where to add this?

9 Replies

I received a letter informing me to claim a deduction on line 23200 "Income Amounts Repaid" - Does anyone know where to add this?

When using TurboTax Online- You will go to your "Personal Tax Profile" continue and go to the question "are there other deductions such as public transit, union or professional dues or alimony that you want to claim?" and click on YES, the check off the appropriate box and continue. Once you get to the "Deduction" section as you go through it the page that will say "Other Deductions" and you will check off which deduction you are claiming. 

stamps1948
Returning Member

how do you put that in? It doesn't ask me to add deductions

I search for it but it doesn't come up

I search for 23200. or "income amounts repaid" or "reimbursement of amount overpaid" but it does not allow me to enter my amount!!!! Very frustrating!

We will need to know specifically what type of income repayment. Please contact us on a private message on Facebook or Twitter so that we can assist further. 

Or you can contact our customer service - https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/product-information/help/contact-us/00/873707

stamps1948
Returning Member

I need to enter $350 in line 23200 as an "other deduction" in the section called "reimbursement of amount overpaid" with a box for "scholarships or any similar financial assistance"

how do I do that please?

Thanks

You will not see the line numbers because you are using TurboTax Online.

Go on the left-hand side of your screen and go to- Your personal tax profile-> Go to Other credits & deductions and click on Edit- then continue and scroll down to the question that says "(name), are there other deductions such as public transit, union or professional dues or alimony that you want to claim?  You will click on "YES" put a checkmark beside "I had other deductions not covered above" continue.  Then go to the Deduction section- Click on Other Deductions, continue- then put a checkmark beside- Repayment of research grants, scholarships or any similar financial assistance- (If this is what it is) and you will put the amount in the box beside it and click on continue.

It will automatically go to the proper line number, once you have entered the amount. 

stamps1948
Returning Member

Thanks for trying to help me but there is no:

"Other credits & deductions" 

and there is no way to click on "Edit"

That does not appear!!!

There is no question that says "(name), are there other deductions such as public transit, union or professional dues or alimony that you want to claim? 

That doesn't happen!!

None of this comes up when I use your software. I don't know what you are refrring to because I don't see any of this!

Please help. 

I can see Deductions and Get started - but then I have no control and it just goes from screen to screen and I can't enter anything further - it is like it thinks it is already done - none of this happens - how do i get it to happen?

stamps1948
Returning Member

There is no 

"Your personal tax profile" - that does not appear anywhere on my screen

stamps1948
Returning Member

Sorry

I'm not on Facebook or twitter

I am just trying to use your product to do my taxes - not go  on Social Media - Surely you have to have some support that is not on facebook??!

Treefort

Using Online Version for 2023.  

HELP Please... Similar question... With a Twist.  

I repaid an amount received that was previously claimed as Income - from a scholarship. I received a letter from a Federal Dept, but NOT CRA, to claim this repayment. 

I found where to enter it in Line 23200 of the program, and the appropriate descriptor (I think) - Repayment of research grants, scholarships or any similar financial assistance.  (my underline). The problem occurs when I get to the Review portion of the program. I get a warning:

To support your deductions with regard to carrying charges or interest expenses (Line 22100) or other deductions (Line 23200), also complete any applicable sections under the headings "Film property", "Tax shelters, limited partnerships, and non-active partners" or "Resource property and flow-through shares" for form T691 Alternative Minimum Tax.

As my repayment has nothing to do with these subjects, I have no idea where to enter any additional info to reflect the information I received within my letter, or if this additional info is needed?  I envision my Tax Return being questioned "why did you claim $XX,XXX.00 at Line 23200, and you didn't provide additional information?" 

Thanks in advance for any assistance