Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was a student before and have a tuition certificate. would I include it under student? I tried doing that and my tax refund reduced to about 1000. why is that?

Hello, while doing my tax return, my tax refund so far was about 2477. I was a student between 2017-2018 and I have been employed since September 2018. 

I have a tuition certificate to include,  i tried doing that and my tax refund reduced to about 1000. why is that? am I reporting it in the right place, that is under student?

1 Reply

I was a student before and have a tuition certificate. would I include it under student? I tried doing that and my tax refund reduced to about 1000. why is that?

You are adding the slip in the proper place if it's in the student section. The reason your refund is decreasing is due to the eligibility requirements for the Working Income Tax Benefit. Once you enter the tuition, TurboTax updates all the credit and benefits based on the new information. Since you were a student in 2018, you are not eligible for the Working Income Tax Benefit.

Don't be tempted to leave out the tuition slip. If you do, you're receiving a benefit that you're not entitled to receive. CRA will eventually match your tuition slip to your tax return and you'll be required to repay the benefit plus interest and possibly penalties. It's best to just enter the right information now.