Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If political contributions are made in the name of one spouse, can they be claimed by the other spouse?

I have political contributions in my name.  Can they be claimed by my spouse?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
fuzzy

If political contributions are made in the name of one spouse, can they be claimed by the other spouse?

Yes.  For the Federal political contribution tax credit, you can claim contributions either you or your spouse or common-law partner made.  Please see http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns409-485/409-410-eng.html

View solution in original post

7 Replies
fuzzy

Yes.  For the Federal political contribution tax credit, you can claim contributions either you or your spouse or common-law partner made.  Please see http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns409-485/409-410-eng.html

Thank you.  Should I remove them from my profile and enter them in my spouse's profile - since there is no optimizer as with charitable donations?
fuzzy

Yes.  Ensure that they are only listed in the profile area of the spouse claiming the credit and are not listed in the profile area of the other spouse and that any amounts regarding this have been deleted from their return.  In trying to determine whether there is a greater benefit by one spouse claiming the credit vs the other spouse claiming, you should try it both ways. You should note that because this is a credit deducted from Federal tax to arrive at NET federal tax there may be no advantage one way or the other if both of you have federal tax in excess of the Political contribution tax credit..

Thanks again!
rushtondg

Are you saying that if both have revenue more than the political tax credit amount, there is no advantage for the person with the higher income to claim, because the credit amount would be the same to either spouse?

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

In simple words, if your Federal Tax Liabilities is zero, there is no point to claim the political contribution because it will not bring your Net federal Tax any lower, it cannot go to a negative value.

So you can decide between you and your spouse who has more taxes to pay so you can claim the political contribution under. Just make sure not to double claim under both returns. 

See the attached picture. 

I hope this was helpful.

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni