Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I discovered an RRSP overpayment in 2016 for my wife and decided to hold back an amount for my 2017 return. I did not report the amount, how do I now report the amounts.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I discovered an RRSP overpayment in 2016 for my wife and decided to hold back an amount for my 2017 return. I did not report the amount, how do I now report the amounts.

If your RRSP contribution was not claimed or reported on your 2016 tax return, you will have to make an adjustment to that tax return. CRA requires that you report all RRSP Contributions made from Mar-Dec of 2016 and the first 60 days of 2017 on the 2016 tax return. 

You can make an adjustment through your CRA My Account or mail a paper copy to your tax services office.

Your overcontributions will be added to the return and carried forward to deduct when the room is available. 

https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/how-to-resolve-rrsp-over-contributions-5540

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If your RRSP contribution was not claimed or reported on your 2016 tax return, you will have to make an adjustment to that tax return. CRA requires that you report all RRSP Contributions made from Mar-Dec of 2016 and the first 60 days of 2017 on the 2016 tax return. 

You can make an adjustment through your CRA My Account or mail a paper copy to your tax services office.

Your overcontributions will be added to the return and carried forward to deduct when the room is available. 

https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/how-to-resolve-rrsp-over-contributions-5540