Pick a language

Français English
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 1

Is principal residence Form T2091 required to be paperfiled separately if I am net-filing return? Form instructions say to keep form in case (CRA) ask to see it later?

Form T2091 does not appear to be available with TurboTax Standard. 

The instructions on Form T2091 say " If you are filing electronically, keep this form in case we ask to see it later.  If you are filing a paper return, you must complete, sign, and attach this form to your return."

If we are filing our T1 electronically using net-file, does this mean we only have to complete the form separately (using the form on CRA's website) and report the gain (if any) on Line 158 of T1 Schedule 3, then keep the completed Form T2091 in case CRA asks for it later, but that we do NOT need to submit it in paper to CRA separately?

2 Replies
Level 1

Is principal residence Form T2091 required to be paperfiled separately if I am net-filing return? Form instructions say to keep form in case (CRA) ask to see it later?

You will keep the form but not required to send in. If CRA contacts you and requires to view it, then you will need to send it in.

If you are completing your return electronically you will complete the form on the TurboTax software

If you are in TurboTax Online, click the Find icon and search for “prin”. Select Principal Residences from the list and click Go. This you will complete and it is the T2091.

Level 1

Thank you TurboTaxBrenda.  

How come the 2018 version of TurboTax Standard, below Line 158 on Schedule 3, says "Enter the total of all T2091's.  If you disposed of more than one Principal Residence during the year, and are reporting a gain, separate T2091's must be completed and mailed to CRA".  Is this an error, because as you mentioned above, Form T2091's are not required to be filed if using net-file, and should only be kept if CRA asks to see it later?

You mentioned that if I am completing my return electronically, the Form T2091 is to be completed on the TurboTax software.  Does this mean that even though the form is required to be completed, this form is NOT net-filed with the rest of the T1 return (because as you mentioned, the form is not required to be sent in to CRA)?

Is the T2091 available on CD version of TurboTax Standard?  If not, how do I go about getting the form?  

If it is not available on the CD version of TurboTax Standard, can I just get the form from the CRA website, complete it and forward the gain (if any) to Line 158 of T1 Schedule 3 and then netfile the return using TurboTax Standard?

Thank you again.