Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there something I should be doing with my unused rrsp contributions?

2 Replies

No, you don't need to do anything with your unused RRSP contributions. By leaving your contributions unused and not applying them as a deduction, you will be able to claim them in a future year. Your unused RRSP contribution amount from previous years will be on your RRSP Deduction Limit Statement, found on your latest notice of assessment. When you use CRA’s Auto-Fill My Return, TurboTax automatically downloads the contribution amount (if applicable) into your tax return for you.

Note: Unused contributions are different from unused contribution room, which is the amount you are entitled to contribute and deduct, minus the amount that you actually deduct.

If needed, please see the following TurboTax FAQ links below.

How do I claim (unused) RRSP contributions I made in previous years but didn’t deduct?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Anonymous
Not applicable

But what if I want to claim them this year? How do I do that? There doesn't seem to be a way to do that in TurboTax online. 

I found a community question asking this exact question but the answer was bogus - it just described what the unused value was and where to find it on your notice of assessment. 

How do I use it this year?